“April showers bring May flowers,” or at least that’s how the saying goes. But what if it’s still snowing in April, and even at times in May? That’s the kind of weather we get here in Potsdam, New York. Unpredictable to say the least. One thing that is for sure is the cold, bitter weather that winter brings along with it. From the first light snow fall of the season to the ice storms that come to follow, knowing how to face the ever changing weather is always important here at SUNY Potsdam.
With temperatures as low as -23°F (-30°C) in the early morning and a potential high of 46°F (7°C) during the sun’s highest point, Potsdam is a place where you need to be prepared for any kind of weather. It may be odd to see someone wondering around in shorts and a light sweatshirt in early March, but once the weather gets above freezing, everyone comes out from hibernation. This is when spring may seem to be right around the corner, even if Punxsutawney Phil says we have six more weeks of winter, but that’s not the case. You never know when “Jack Frost [will come back] nipping on your nose,” for the tenth time around. But this time, be prepared.
5 Steps to Beating the Winter Blues:
1. Get an Indoor Hobby- Don’t waste those cold, bitter days all bundled up in bed. Find a hobby that keeps you going, and uses your time wisely. This would be a great time to put that DIY Pinterest board to use!
2. Be Social- Don’t spend your time alone. Winter can be depressing enough for some, but it doesn’t have to be when you’re willing to get together with friends. Maybe this is the weekend that you try to break your high score in bowling, or have that Harry Potter movie marathon with friends that you’ve secretly been wanting for weeks. No matter what it is, I’m sure your left-hand-man is right beside you!
3. Make Someone Smile- With the many opportunities to make someone smile, all around the world, why not have today be the day that you put that smile on someone’s face. Paying it forward is a great way to do so, and it doesn’t always involve money. A simple gesture like leaving a positive note on someone’s car window can change anyone’s day!
4. Dress Up- Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you should only wear heavy layers of dark, drab wool. Don’t be afraid to wear some color, and even dress up in something other than your pajamas. You may not have anywhere to go, but why not dress up and have a dinner party with some of your closest friends!
5. Treat Yourself- Whether you have a spa day, get those new pair of heels you’ve been eyeing in the window, or go to the gym so you look great in that bathing suit this summer, take the time to make yourself feel special!
The winter blues can’t keep you down forever, and won’t stop you at all if you just remember that as each week goes by you are one week closer to spring, and soon enough summer!